Dear competitors, marshals, and supporters,
There’s a lot of unknowns surrounding the current pandemic sweeping across the globe right now. We don’t know how many people are going to be affected, how long it will last, how long social distancing will be the new norm, or how long emergency services are unable to offer their support to events. So we’ve had to make decisions based on what we do know.
And we know this: we cannot in good conscience host an event that relies on the cooperation of the RNLI, Mountain Rescue, Coast Guard, and other vital emergency services during a time when they may very well be depleted and in high demand across the UK. It would be socially irresponsible to ask our competitors and marshals to put themselves into situations that directly contravene current WHO recommendations. It would not be fair of us to send packs of marshals, runners, and sailors who may be unwittingly carrying strains of this coronavirus into small communities along the coast of Scotland.
So we have very regretfully taken the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 Scottish Islands Peaks Race. We very much hope that the situation will be well under control by the middle of May and this will be looked back upon as an over reaction. We would rather be on that side of history.
We also understand how much planning and effort and expense each team puts into getting to the start line and how disappointing this will be for all of you. Please know that it is incredibly disappointing for us as well. It is not a decision taken lightly or happily.
We hope everyone weathers this storm hale and hearty, and takes this year off as the perfect opportunity to get in some extra training and strategising to attack the 2021 SIPR with strength and enthusiasm.
Those of you that have paid your entry fee already have a choice of a full refund or moving your entry fee to next year’s race. Just let us know what your preference is.
Toben, Sarah, and Alison
From the SIPR org team
8 thoughts on “Coronavirus and Peaks Race”
have you dates and entry info for 2021?
Hi Ross, the date for next year is weekend of 14 May. We’re working on updating the entry forms just now but it will be very similar (if not identical) to last year.
Hello, I wanted to check-in and see if you are still planning for the weekend of 14th May 2021 (taking into consideration things will have to be reassessed nearer the time)? I see that the entry forms are still dated 2020 so wondered if you are going to release updated entry forms?
Thanks very much
We’re still aiming for that weekend, subject to regulations closer to the time. Forms will be updated shortly!
Just now it’s pretty grim, and I’m sure you don’t know whether or not the race will happen this year.
Do you have an idea of the date when you think a decision can be made? Appreciate you don’t want to say it’s on, then off again. We aren’t booking travel yet. And by the way, thank you for even thinking about this. Amazing.
Hi Harry! Apologies we took a while to get back to you — we got battered with hundreds of spam comments and it took a while to sort through them to find the legitimate ones. Decision has finally been made, and although it’s probably not unexpected it’s also not happy. https://www.scottishislandspeaksrace.com/2021/02/17/sipr-2021/
Hi Toben et al. Hope you’ve managed to avoid the plague that’s messing everybody about!
Just wondering if your crystal ball is fully (or even partially) operational!!!!
Have you decided on a “cut-off” date for a decision on this years event.
Any other year we’re trying to organise crews and runners and submitting entries about now …..!!!!!!
Do youthink it’ds worthwhile trying to sort things out or is your crystal ball buggert as well??????
Aye, crystal ball is buggert along with everything else! Cut off date has been reached, decision has been made, and sadly there will be no race this year. https://www.scottishislandspeaksrace.com/2021/02/17/sipr-2021/